Initial ideas to completed video
Here are a few steps that you should follow when undertaking making a video:
Create better videos with your mobile device
- Plan your video with a production brief.
- Write a script with a script template.
- Create storyboards.
- Decide on questions if it's interview based.
- Contact all locations and seek permission if required.
- Visit any locations and check for any lighting or sound issues.
- Get all actors or interviewees to sign a legal release form.
- Become confident with the equipment by practising. Advice for filming on a mobile device.
- Use the available light to your advantage.
- Place your subject facing towards the light.
- Avoid having the main light directly behind your subject.
- Avoid dark locations as all cameras perform less well in low light.
- Compose your shot so there's nothing distracting in the frame.
- Make sure the mobile device is landscape, unless there's a valid reason for it to be portrait.
- Have the camera on eye level to your subject.
- Using the rule of thirds is a great way to compose a shot.
- Avoid moving the camera once you've got it set up.
- Use a tripod if possible or steady the camera as best you can.
- Use a mic, if possible, when interviewing.
- Otherwise get as close as possible to the subject.
- Choose a location with little background noise, as this will be distracting to the viewer.
- Always do a test recording of the audio to check the levels.
- If it is not clear move to a quieter location.
- Look over all your footage to decide what you'd like to be included and where, this is the best time to look back at your planning documents.
- Back up your footage.
- Create a project and name it.
- Add the clips to the timeline in the order you want.
- Once you have a rough cut of the video, keep looking over it again and again till you're happy with it.
- Add in titles, effects and sounds where they are needed.
- Remember to keep saving your project so you don't lose anything.
- Export the final video at the highest quality, then compress it if it's needed for upload.
Videos are also a great way to showcase your skills. Learning on Screen has created a guide that will assist you with creating this style of video from start to finish.